Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Don't Trash The Competition

Marketing is all about differentiating yourself from the competition, but what's with the current spate of adverts that lead on what's wrong with your competitors, rather than what's right with you? I was always told never to speak badly of the competition when in the company of customers. "I couldn't possibly comment" says eons more than any direct insult ever could.

This seems to be a bank thing. Nat West and Nationwide are both running TV adverts parodying a fictitious bank that doesn't listen to its customers and employs morons. Maybe it's just me, but I can't help thinking the only association created is precisely the unintended one.

Has anyone done any studies on this? Put viewers in a room and show them the employees in the advert and ask who they work for. My guess is that there will be a significant correlation that isn't the desired one. Surely, a marketing agency is spending millions of pounds on this without thinking this one through (surely, it doesn't work like that?). Or just maybe mud does stick to the slinger...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not a marketing man by any stretch of the imagination, but I agree that knocking the competition in the way that the Banks are doing just leaves a bad taste in the mouuth.